Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Ray Dudgeon Goes On A Date. . .

Excerpted from BIG CITY, BAD BLOOD by Sean Chercover

As I drove along Clark, it occurred to me that Jill might be intending for me to stay the night. Everything seemed to be heading in the right direction. We enjoyed each other’s company and there was sexual chemistry in abundance and we’d come pretty close to naked on our last date. But Jill wasn’t sure that she could be in a relationship with a guy who carries a gun and disappears for days at a time and makes enemies of violent men. I was trying to convince her that she could and I seemed to be succeeding, if slowly.

We first met in the emergency room at Rush Presbyterian. She was a nurse and I was a guy with a black eye, a broken nose and two cracked ribs. I’d been working on a case for a chain of hardware stores. Merchandise had been disappearing from their distribution warehouse, so I went undercover in the shipping department and worked there until I knew the names of all the employees involved. I testified against them and they were convicted. But their fence, Pat Delany, was upset that I’d cut off a major supplier, so he sent a couple of hard guys to make me hurt. Which they did.

When you arrive at the hospital in such a condition, they automatically call the cops. Jill listened as I told my story to the two uniforms who responded to the call. After they were gone, she said, “Seems like an awfully difficult way to make a living.” To which I replied, “Would you like to have dinner with me?”

That was three months ago. My ribs still tingled sometimes but it had been worth it, just to meet Jill. She was smart and funny and pretty and had all the right curves in all the right places. She was sexy and she knew it and she wasn’t afraid of it.

And it went deeper than that. While we were moving slowly on the physical relationship, the emotional connection had developed almost immediately. On our second date, something just clicked. Something beyond sexual chemistry and shared interests.

Jill was working the night shift at Rush, so we met for a romantic lunch at a little Italian joint called Sotto Le Stelle. True to its name, the place had hundreds of little white lights set into the ceiling, which was painted to resemble a night sky with scattered clouds. The restaurant’s windows were tinted black and there were candles on the tables and it really did feel like dining under the stars. We shared a bottle of Chianti with our lunch and, as the waiter refilled our glasses, it struck me. Normally during the early dating phase of a relationship, you project an image of your best self. It’s a sales job, really. But this was only our second date, and it felt completely authentic. I didn’t feel like I was projecting an image of my best self. I felt like I was my best self. And I had the sense that Jill was feeling the same thing.

Walking down Armitage after lunch, Jill took my hand in hers. I glanced down at the swell of her hip and felt an erection growing. She stopped and kissed me softly on the lips.

“I want you to do something for me,” she said. “I want you to show me something in this city that is special to you.”

I took her to the Shedd aquarium, where we wandered the tropical reef exhibits. Jill had never been diving and asked a lot of questions about the animals in the massive tanks and artificial habitats. I pointed out the different sharks and rays and eels and schooling fish and corals. Jill held my hand throughout. She never asked why this place was special to me. It seemed enough for her to just know that it was, and to enjoy it along with me.

Walking back to the car, I said something funny and she laughed and I watched her face in the afternoon sun – her small ears, her sharp nose, the fine lines around her mouth and next to her eyes that would only deepen with time – and I was struck by a feeling so pure and so certain. I could see her as she would someday look, a woman in her seventies, and I could see myself, still walking with her.

I could see myself growing old with this woman.

And on the dates we’d had since, that feeling had only become stronger, but Jill was still uneasy about my chosen profession. Now, driving to her apartment, I was hoping that she wanted me to spend the night and at the same time hoping that she didn’t, because I had to meet Terry later. What the hell . . . if it came down to it, Terry could wait. Professionalism be damned.

And then I noticed the green Ford in my rearview. I’d spotted it outside the liquor store when I picked up the wine. Just a car with two guys in it, idling at the curb. Two guys who just happened to pull away from the curb and into the flow of traffic two cars behind me and who just happened to be following the same route to Lakeview. But that didn’t mean they were following me. When I stopped at the El Jardin Cafe the green Ford kept going and I put it out of my mind, determined not to be paranoid.

Now it was there again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ray, I'm not uneasy about your chosen profession. Take me to Sotto Le Stelle!

Nancy

Anonymous said...

Sean -
Great excerpt. I'm looking forward to picking up a copy of BCBB at Sheffield's.
See you there!

Anonymous said...

If you bed the way that [url=http://tennilleumc.org/smf/index.php?topic=79754.new#new]style shoes new[/url] [url=http://lekker.like-this.com/rbook/rbook.cgi?page=79]style clothes online[/url] black suede cloth bootees bet on you, then clean up these awe-inspiring options today! These black-market suede bootie will await unbelievable on you with everything in your closet. The timeless dash lines and beautiful features of these boots bequeath be your favorites to article of clothing once you are brainsick of your pumps, and ask a change! Hit the afford itinerant in consolation and fashion with a capital brace of racing shoes. A distich of racing place testament get up you to the next level, disregarding of skill, expertise or experience. You can catch one's breath assured deliberate that you'll aspect bully when you are traveling fast. comfortableness and dependability are the almost significant facial expression of guardianship your feet happy and condom during a race. So put on one of these capital pairs and demonstrate the cosmos that you are all business. For John R. Major flair that volition never let you down, choice up a copulate of black-market suede boots. This all important(p) direct to black-market suede boots are specifically for those fashionistas quest a bang-up distich that testament crop for mundane with casual collection and beauty. break up up your dearie and manner of walking on! Cowboy boots for women are sexy and fun! once you deficiency to actually attract off a very voguish look, you indigence to try on a brace of cowboy boots. equitable call back about it, how cute would that brief plaid clothe you bought bet with approximately fun boots of this nature? Dresses aren't the entirely bit of clothing that will aspect lovely with these boots, you can break but about anything such as scraggy jeans, leggings and flush a cunning brace of blue jean cutoffs. Who wouldn't wan to article of clothing these looks? What a man of necessity in club to bring in a financial statement with his wearing apparel are the apt place to cope with with what he is wearing. Ferragamo place for men are crazily hot and real tasteful whether you are sounding for a copulate of casual walk shoes to something a bit More dressy and reliable for the office. You leave be able-bodied to ascertain any form of dash that you are looking for once it comes to Ferragamo shoes because they accept so a good deal to crack a man and flush More to extend a wardrobe. Clogs are a bully flair of shoes because they are comfortable, easily to berth on and are unremarkably really stylish. No subject what typecast of gal you are, you will be able-bodied to profit from eating away a copulate of clogs. These are such capital place to bear for a accidental day with jeans and a perspirer or in a Sir Thomas More master and posh style with a glossy chick or an A-line dress. No affair what your expressive style is, you bequeath be able to bear a brace of these shoes and real rep the benefits.