Sunday, May 16, 2010

Anthony Award Zone

by Libby Hellmann

There are only about 12 days until the deadline for Anthony Award nominations, and I need help. I don’t know what books to list. After 20 years I’ve finally started to keep a list of books I read, so I looked over my 2009 list. Unfortunately, most of the books I read (or listened to on audio) were published prior to 2009, or were ARCs of upcoming 2010 books. But I am going to Bouchercon, and I want to participate.

So, please, let me know the books you really enjoyed last year. I have just enough time to browse through them, read a few, and make my list. And, yes, if you want to recommend your own book, feel free.

In that spirit, if you haven't made your list, several members of the OUTFIT have 2009 novels that are eligible, including:

For Best Novel:
Doubleback, by Yours Truly
Foolproof, by Barb D’Amato (and Jeanne Dams and Mark Zubro)
The Hidden Man, by Dave Ellis
The Amateurs, by Marcus Sakey

For Best First:
Running From the Devil, by Jamie Freveletti
Starvation Lake, by Bryan Gruley
A Word To The Wise, by Dave Heinzmann

For Best Paperback:
Red Hot Lies, by Laura Caldwell

Of the 2009 books I did read, I do want to give a shout-out to

Dark Places
by Gillian Flynn
The Defector by Daniel Silva
The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson
and,
especially, Outfiteer Emeritus Sara Paretsky's Hardball.


OK… your turn! What 2009 crime fiction novels do I need to check out before the end of the month?

3 comments:

Austin Lugar said...

I strongly recommend The Ghosts of Belfast by Stuart Neville, The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, and Alone by Loren D. Estleman.

Also to be a complete whore, I'd recommend the book Organizing Crime: The Mystery Company's Guide to Series by some guys named Austin Lugar and Jim Huang. It features many of the authors here in The Outfit.

Anonymous said...

I would love to submit my novel, "ETA-Estimated Time of Arrest", for the award.
I am a Chicago author, and you can find more info about it here: www.missnyet.com
please get in touch with me should you want to receive a promo copy at opaskatasuna@gmail.com

Unknown said...

`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`